Connect with us

News

End SARS:- Atiku, Amnesty International Call For Reform Over SARS Brutality

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Force’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad came under attack on Saturday after some SARS operatives allegedly shot dead a young man in front of a hotel in the Ughelli area of Delta State.Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, Minister of Youths and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, and a global rights group, Amnesty International, were among prominent voices that condemned the recurring SARS brutality.

While Abubakar and AI called on the Federal Government to reform SARS, the minister promised that investigation would be carried out.A video that went viral on Saturday showed how there was confusion around the Wetland Hotel in the Ughelli area where the policemen allegedly killed the victim, and escaped with his vehicle – a white Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle.

A Twitter user, who claimed to be an eyewitness, Ichie Teejay, wrote, “SARS just shot a young boy dead at Ughelli, Delta State, as we speak in front of Wetland hotels. They left him for dead on the roadside and drove away with the deceased Lexus jeep.”More reactions flooded the social media as former VP, Abubakar, wrote on Twitter,“The SARS unit of the police was set up to confront violent crimes such as armed robbery, kidnapping and other related crimes. However, the unit has today morphed into an oppressor of the Nigerian masses who strive every day for a better life.

 

“It is expedient that the activities of SARS are reviewed to ensure that the rogue elements are excised from the unit and sanity returned to its operations.

“I strongly condemn their cruel actions against our people, and I urge the government to rise to the occasion and nip this monstrosity in the bud with the seriousness it deserves. Reports of intimidation, harassment and outright extortion by officers of SARS have continued unabated.”

Meanwhile, the minister said the Federal Government would look into the reports of harassment of Nigerians by SARS.

In a statement issued on Saturday by John Joshua-Akanji, his special assistant, Dare said he had been monitoring reports of the attacks by SARS, adding that relevant government agencies will investigate the incidents.

He said,

“The ministry of youth and sports is worried about the menace, increasing harassments and attacks by SARS, especially targeted at youths and other innocent members of the public, and brought it to the attention of the relevant security agencies in Abuja,” the statement read.

 

“The minister of youth and sports development, who has also been monitoring the reports of alleged SARS harassment and attacks, has called for immediate investigations that will unravel the truth.”

 

Meanwhile, the Amnesty International said,

 

“SARS officers are getting rich through their brutality. In Nigeria, it seems that torture is a lucrative business. End SARS now, end police brutality.

“The majority of the victims of torture in SARS custody are poor and unable to hire legal representatives. In some cases when detainees cannot afford to pay bribes, they are simply tortured more.“The complete failure of Nigerian authorities to bring an end to the gross human rights violations perpetuated by the SARS or to bring any SARS officer to justice is shocking and unacceptable.”

 

– PUNCH

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

ICPC arraigns two FRSC officers for extorting motorists

Published

on

Kayode Oyero

The Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission has arraigned two officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps over alleged extortion of motorists.

The two officials, John Asegu and Otom Asueni, were brought before Honourable Justice H. Aprioku of the Rivers State High Court 11 sitting in Port Harcourt on two-count of extortion and gratification.

ICPC, according to a statement on Monday, told the court how the duo forcibly collected various sums of money totaling N3,500 from motorists as a “fee“ to allow the motorists pass their checkpoint along Port Harcourt-Ahoada expressway, even without being charged for any traffic offence.

 

The Commission also accused the defendants of using their position as public officers to confer undue advantage upon themselves by soliciting for, and accepting gratification. The defendants were arrested on the act after ICPC mounted a sting operation on them following intelligence

ICPC in a Charge No: PHC/3905ICPC/19 averred that the duo’s actions were contrary to and punishable under sections 8, 19, and 26 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000, and if they are found guilty they shall on conviction, be liable to imprisonment for seven years without option of fine.

The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted them bail.

They were, however, remanded in prison because of their inability to meet up with the bail conditions.

 

The case was adjourned to the 26th of March, 2021 for commencement of trial.

 

 

Continue Reading

Education

NECO RESULT RELEASE

Published

on

RIVERS STATE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION

Press Release

The Rivers State Ministry of Education informs School Owners, Administrators, Parents and Guardians that the results of the 2020 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) have been released.

The Ministry enjoins all candidates who sat for the examination to visit their schools for collection.

The Ministry states that:
HENCEFORTH, Candidates seeking to register for SSCE must present original copy of their BECE certificate as a prerequisite for registration.

Candidates who have registered for the 2021 SSCE must present their BECE certificate before the completion of their registration.

Candidates seeking to benefit from the state government’s bankrolled UTME registration must also present original copy of their BECE certificates.

Public and Private Schools by this announcement must ensure students seeking to be admitted into SS1 to SS3 present original copy of their BECE certificates at the point of registration

The Ministry solicits the cooperation of all heads of schools to drive this course.

Schools can apply for the BECE certificates at rivemis.riversstate.gov.ng

Signed
Sir. Chidi Adiele
Permanent Secretary
Rivers State Ministry of Education

Continue Reading

News

Sunday Igboho storms Ogun, vows to flush out killer herdsmen

Published

on

A Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho on Monday, stormed some parts of Ogun State and vowed to flush out killer herdsmen in the troubled areas in the state
Igboho, who stopped briefly in Abeokuta around 4pm and had a brief interaction with his supporters, later proceeded to Ketuland where some soldiers allegedly connived with herdsmen to flog some farmers for not allowing them grazing their cattle on their farms in Yewa-North Local Government Area of the state.

While addressing his followers in Abeokuta, the activist said, “I observe there is an injustice from the herdsmen because they know the power that they have in the Federal Government. So, they behave as if Yoruba people are nobody. They kill our people, they kidnap our people, and they rape our women.”
“Any Fulani herdsman who engages in kidnapping would be flushed out,” Igboho vowed.

When asked whether he would limit his activism to Igangan, his hometown in Oyo State, Igboho said, “Not only Igangan, we are going to visit all Yorubaland and ensure there is peace everywhere.”

The activist lauded the state governor, Dapo Abiodun, for allowing him in the state.

Appreciating the gesture, the activist said, “We have not visited the governor, we will do that after we have flushed the Fulani herdsmen out of the state.
“I am going to Yewa because that is where the Fulani are wreaking havoc.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 All Rights Reserved Owned And Designed by Gostloaded.com.ng